Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Update from Akune

For some reason there seemed to be more stairs to climb than usual. I had just finished my last class on Friday, March 11 and was heading back to the office to spend the last hour of my day, parked at my desk, reading. I was tired. On the landing between the second and third floor I saw one of my colleagues, Mrs. Takehara, her smile, no matter how late in the day, bright and uplifting. With in an instant, though, a look of concern washed over her face.

“There has been an earthquake. It looks really serious. Everyone is in the office watching the T.V.”

No one was at his or her desk. As Mrs. Takehara has said, everyone was standing, crowded around the T.V., dust-covered and surrounded on all sides by files. I saw the first tsunami hit Sendai from the perspective of a news helicopter. The speed of the wave was alarming, almost super-natural. The color of the wave was a fear-instilling black. It surged forth. It grew as it penetrated further inland, carrying with it everything that it touched. Despite the fact that everyone had been watching the story unfold (as they do everyday now), we all had the same look on our faces. Our mouths were gaping. Our heads were shaking. We were all asking ourselves the same question as we witnessed this disaster from almost one thousand miles away: what is happening?

I went home that Friday afternoon and have since been replying to a constant flow of messages from people all over the world asking about my safety. As scared as I am, as emotionally taxing it is to see all of this happening everyday, I am grateful that Akune was not affected directly by the earthquake and resulting tsunami. One thousand miles is far however one may look at it, but this tragedy feels very close.

I wish to thank all of the family, friends and loved ones who have been checking on my status for the past few weeks. Your anxious thoughts of worry translate clearly and provide perspective that helps me realize the sheer enormity of the disaster that is unfolding.

Japan is in serious need of relief. Your prayers and support in any capacity are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment