Monday, March 8, 2010

Early spring flower exclusive

Hello all.

Everyday I go to school I find more and more pink and white blossoms highlighting the roadside scenery. Kids have stopped shivering in class and some have even gone as far as shedding the overcoats of their uniform. Grocery stores are practically flooding with bamboo shoots and broccoli. In other words, although the weather outside my tatami room is deceiving, there is no doubt that spring has begun in Akune.

Now that I look back on the past few months, the winter was not so bad. It made me a stronger man, in fact. Never have I slept in such cold temperatures. Never have I eaten so much hot pot or drank so much tea, coffee, or anything boiling hot. Never have I slept with 5 blankets. And I never knew that eating a lot of ginger could actually warm you up (thanks Captain Matsunaga).

In the final throes of winter I took a trip to Tokyo to visit Laura, who is interning at the United Nations University. I hadn’t been to eastern Japan since my family and I hit the streets of Tokyo nearly three years ago. It was a thrill to be back and a pleasure to be shown around Roppongi by Laura. In the four short days I was there we covered quite a bit of ground, some I had trod before and some I would tread for the first time. My favourite outing was to Tsukiji Fish Market (a two-time winner of my favourite stops in Tokyo) and the homemade dinner that followed.

Before going to Tokyo I had to make two crucial decisions. It only took me a couple minutes to figure out which one necktie I was going to bring, so I had that covered. The other decision, however, I had been considering from the moment I got the acceptance letter for this position nearly one year ago: to extend my contract and stay for another year in Akune or accordingly complete my one-year contract and head back home to Seattle. I tried almost everything. I of course consulted my friends and family, verbally laying out the pros and cons of staying versus coming home. I even went as far as living a week of my life with the consciousness that I was staying and then did the same the following week, but in the opposite, I-am-going-home state of mind. It was a turbulent two weeks.

The weight that I felt on my shoulders was immense. The idea of not seeing my family, love ones and friends for another year was a penetrating potential reality. At the same time, the stones that have yet to be uncovered in Akune are countless. These kinds of thoughts raced through my head and were then translated into Japanese as I continued to discuss my dilemma with my advisors at the board of education in Akune, the owners of the restaurants which I frequent, my friends at Big Up and undeniably the Captain. I do not owe my decision to the people who I sought for advice, but I am duly grateful for their supportive voices.

I submitted my re-contract form on the last possible day. My advisor handled my form like any other document he receives, shrugging when he realizes what it is, nodding as he looks it over and putting on the top of the to-do pile. My intent to extend my contract was well received by my friends in Akune. My family and friends were also excited about my decision to stay, though understandably reluctant to rejoice about the thought another year of emails, packages and birthday celebrations via skype; I share the same reluctance as my family and friends. However, upon making my final decision I feel not a trace of doubt in my mind. It is a beautiful feeling, a great simcha.

I would like to leave you with this proverb:

踏まれた草にも、花が咲く。
Flowers bloom even from trodden grass.


Tsukiji shijou: the worlds largest wholesale fish market



Shamaim Israeli Restaurant




Roppongi



Dinner caught from Tsukiji



Meiji Jingu on National Foundation Day



Maguro triple threat bowl at Tsukiji



Daycare bus (jealous?)



Meiji Jingu entrance



Asakusa: I spy a huge white guy under the lantern



Ameyoko outdoor market



Yellow flower: according to the Captain this flower tells us that spring has arrived



Outside my apartment



Tara-no-me, the king of Sansai (Mountain vegetables): blanch, drain and serve with miso and vinegar



Takenoko (bamboos shoots) harvested by yours truly




Plum




Flower bed at Nishime Elementary



Hand=picked flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment